Sunday, June 15, 2014

Shoe Collection Update / HAITI TRIP 2014!!!

Hey Everybody,

Well a lot has happened in the past months. I should be a lot better about posting more often shouldn't I? Long story short is that the shoe collection is still going strong! There have been shoes coming out of crooks and crannies all over the upper Midwest. It's awesome to get shoes from Montana, Michigan and there was even going to be a pair sent from Tokyo!

I wish that I could tell you every single detail that has happened over the course of the shoe collection, but I figured that I should keep this short and sweet. So, I will give you a list of some major things that have happened or are happening.

Shoe Collection Keeps on Growing

  • We are now a temporary warehouse!
    • Soles4Souls has declared me a temporary warehouse...meaning that anyone from around the upper Midwest can deliver their shoes to me because it is the closest and the quickest way to get the shoes to the places that they need to go.
    • Many different groups like Lions Clubs, Girl Scout Troops, Churches, Schools and many other communities have brought their shoes to our temporary warehouse.
  • We have filled up three full semi trailers full of shoes!
    • Next time you are driving next to a semi trailer try to imagine it completely full of shoes all the way from the very back to the very front and stacked all the way up to the ceiling of the trailer. A full semi trailer full of shoes is about 24,000 pairs of shoes!
    • The most recent semi trailer fill up/send off day was June 9th, 2014, so just under a week ago. 
    • We had 51 people come to help transfer 24,000 pairs of shoes from the storage unit to the semi we thought that it would take about three hours. Well, we were wrong because it only took 45 minutes!!!
  •  Roughly 85,000 pairs of shoes and still counting!
  • Working at Soles4Souls
    • I am currently in Nashville, TN because I have the awesome opportunity to work at the Soles4Souls headquarters in Nashville.
    • I will be working with them for a week and then... (go to next bullet)
  • Trip to Haiti yet again!
    • After working at Soles4Souls I will be leaving a week from today June 22, 2014 to go back to Haiti for the second time!
    • My Administrative Assistant (my mom) is coming with me again. 
    • We will be in Haiti for a week distributing around 600 pairs of shoes to people who need them the most.
Haiti Updates!!!
I will have access to a computer and internet while I am in Haiti, so I am going to try to post something every night about what we did that day along with some pictures! I will be posting on this blog page so you can check back to see what we are doing each day.

Thank you to everyone who has supported the shoe collection throughout the past 4 years! There would be no shoe collection without all of your help...and shoes [which by the way we are still collecting :)]

Claire Baker 
The Shoe Collector

No comments:

Post a Comment